I was born and raised in the beautiful Western Cape. The people and children of Cape Town have always been my passion, ever since I can remember. It is little wonder I was drawn into this field of work. I graduated from Stellenbosch University in 2002. After completing my degree I worked at Bloemfontein Hospital as part of my community service. Working there affirmed my calling into this field of helping people. It was probably one of my most humbling experiences, but imparted me with humility and an unreserved heart of compassion. There after, I spent some time at a special needs school in Johannesburg. The school focused on children with Learning Difficulties primarily Dyslexia. These kids crept into my heart and I just knew I wanted to continue working with children, specifically, those who had reading difficulties.
Cape Town was calling and it was time to head back. I started my private practice in 2006. There have been many challenges that came along with it. However, I have learnt that the best way to overcome obstacles is one step at a time. I have thus far accrued fourteen years of experience as a Speech Therapist and over 19 740 hands on clinical hours.
I am a mother of two amazing young boys. Their joy is my joy and their sadness is my sadness. So I fully understand and relate to parents’ plight when they enter my office with concern, anxiety and distress. I currently focus on all disciplines within Speech Therapy. View our range of services here.
The Gillian Adonis Approach
These are the key pillars that I have built the success of my practice on.
- Trust: This is built up over time, but it is crucial that my patients trust me.
- Authenticity: I am open and honest, holding my patients best interest at heart.
- Perseverance: I don’t give up on my patients, and I expect the same from them.
- Supportive: I am able to empathise and sympathise with my patients.
- Attentiveness: When my patients speak, I listen!
- Respect: I believe that respect is a fundamental element, in growing an on-going relationship, such as this.
- Confidentiality: My patients can confide in me and be assured that it remains private.