What is Dysarthria?
Dysarthria is a motor speech disorder resulting from neurological injury of the motor component of the motor-speech system and is known by poor articulation of speech sounds. The type and severity of dysarthria depend on which area of the nervous system is affected.
How we can help:
Treatment depends on the cause, type, and severity of the symptoms. Possible goals of treatment may include:
- Slowing the rate of speech
- Improving the breath support so the person can speak more loudly
- Strengthening oral muscles
- Increasing tongue and lip movement
- Improving speech sound production so that speech is more clear